Notes re Parish Council receipts/payments
- Parish Council raises money through a Precept, made on Dover District Council – this is set annually – for the current year is £86,667.
- Council receives a small amount of other income – from grazing rights at Old Bottom Freedown, currently £1,050 per annum and a tiny amount of interest.
- Other income comes from the Civic Cemetery at Westcliffe (not linked to the Church). To this end, the PC employs a Cemetery Registrar Mr Ian Miller
- As a public authority, the PC can reclaim all VAT paid on invoices
- Clerk receives an annual salary. PC also allows £20 per month for telephone/internet and phone calls are charged. Provision of “retirement fund” was started 2011 for Clerk (employed since 2002). Clerk accounts to HMRC for deduction of PAYE and NIC.
- The Parish Council has an annual grounds maintenance contract. This was subject to competitive tendering.
- We have an annual contract with Iverdre for grasscutting – this is for the Alexander Field, King George Field, the Madge Field and the Cemetery.
- Several years ago, the PC took over 100% of the costs for the public toilets in
Reach Road Car Park – this was undertaken after public consultation and the Precept increased accordingly to take account of the cost.
- The PC meets water rates for the Cemetery (standpipe), the Pond, cattle water troughs in the South Foreland Valley, the Alexander Pavilion and the King George V Pavilion. The Clubs meet electricity and any business rate costs. The PC undertakes any maintenance.
- Lynne Hopwood is employed on a self-employed basis as toilet cleaner for the King George Pavilion during the playing season.
- David Hart and Chris Little hope to continue with work in the South Foreland valley, a large tract of land owned by the Parish Council. This is an AONB and SSSI and the PC has a legal obligation to maintain this land as chalk grassland. Clearance work is undertaken by volunteers, managed by Mr Hart/Little, and the volunteers are provided with refreshments at the PC’s cost.
- We pay for the maintenance of the pavilions (Bowls Club, Alexander Field and Cricket Clubs).
- We pay for the maintenance of the King George V and Alexander Field playing fields.
- We support the Football teams, Cricket Club and Bowls Town.
- Maintenance of the play equipment at King George V and Alexander Field.
- Grass Cutting and. other grounds maintenance works around the village.
- Provision of CCTV.
- Bench maintenance throughout the village.